Wednesday, August 19, 2015

A is for Autumn (My favorite time of year!)

 Late summer and early fall is my favorite time of year. The anticipation of the "new year" rests upon teachers and students alike as they wonder what their class will be like and make all kinds of mental plans for what they hope their school year will entail. More than the actual New Year, I see this time as a time of setting goals and building bridges that will glide us through the next few months and into the Christmas crazy with joy and delight instead of dread and stress.

This time of year, more than any other, is one I have filled with family traditions and memory-making activities that I absolutely LOVE. As fun as the carefree days of summer are, there is something calming about getting back into a set routine (anybody?) and knowing more-or-less what each week will hold. We are adding a few items to our Autumn bucket list this year, and I cannot tell you how giddy I am as I look forward to this season of harvest, gathering, and of course, family.

I am excited to share more details later (since my husband tells me that I am CRAZY for getting so Autumn-exuberant when it is still 90-degrees outside and we are a whole month away from the official beginning of fall. Haha!) But I kind of consider the back-to-school time synonymous with the wrapping up of summer and ushering in of fall, and come September we are going to hit the ground running with doing some preschool at home and I have all kinds of ideas for how I want to incorporate the fall season into our learning adventures. SO, all that being said, if you need a little bit of inspiration for family traditions and connections this upcoming season in your home, grab an idea or two from my list and try it out. As I always jokingly tell my husband (usually with some goofy expression and weird accent), "The family that plays together stays together!"

Ideas for a Little Fall Fun
  • Leaf collecting (and of course, fun leaf projects like leaf rubbings)
  • Soup-making (it could be Hearty Beef Stew or Zuppa Toscana...but I LOVE soup in the fall!)
  • Apple Picking (New tradition for the family this year...super excited about it!!!)
  • Hot Air Balloon Watching (Our area has an annual Hot Air Balloon spectacle in September that is just magical!)
  • Pumpkin-Patching (This is one of my FAVORITE traditions of the entire year)
  • Story-timing (at the library)
  • Cider (or Hot Cocoa) & Stories (Brew up a tantalizing pot of apple cider or hot cocoa and snuggle up in cozy forts or comfy couches to read stories with the kiddos).
  • Firefighters Open House (Many Fire Stations have an annual Open House around this time for fire safety month, with firetruck rides and other fun events for the kids). 
  • Pumpkin painting, pumpkin carving, and of course pumpkin seed cooking!
  • Take annual family pictures (what better time of year to do this than fall with the great lighting and fantastic colorful leaves surrounding you!)
  • Writing an annual Thanksgiving letter (as opposed to a Christmas letter...things are just too crazy for me to ever get those out on time, haha!)
  • Take a fall hike (and maybe even hit the hot springs!)
  • Go to a harvest festival (most towns have one somewhere...a school, a park, or a church in your area probably has some sort of harvest celebration!)
  • Make s'mores (And this s'mores coffee creamer...trust me it is AMAZING!!!) 
 

So there you have it. A (somewhat) short list of some of the things I like best about fall. There are more to come, I assure you (because I am a bit of a planner and dreamer who derives as much joy from planning out the events as actually doing them. ;) Happy autumn everyone (err...in a month, so I guess happy early autumn). ;) What are your fall traditions?

Love you all!


2 comments:

  1. I love autumn, too! Here in Arizona, October marks the ushering in of beautiful weather! Families come back outside and kids play in the neighborhood again because it is not so unbearably hot anymore! It is kind of like spring in other parts of the US! Most of our school districts even have two weeks off in October as well! Our summers are shorter, but who wants to be stuck inside when you are off of school?
    So glad I was your neighbor at #WomenwithIntention!
    Blessings and smiles,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am SO ready for fall! I want to wear layers, drink warm beverages, and, dare I say, cuddle up while it's raining outside!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!