Friday, July 3, 2015

Simple Thoughts on Profound Love

As I write, my sweet boy is coughing in the other room. He has a cold and has been restless and cranky. My heart breaks for him, even though I know it's just a stupid cold and we'll be through it fast enough. I admit though, that the selfishness inside of me is not only concerned about his well-being but my own. With only fits and spurts of sleep last night I was desperate for naptime today...and after only 40 short minutes Little Man was awake and crying. I couldn't take it, you know? I was exhausted and emotional and just needed a break and a nap. But there he was, crying once again. I ran out the the garage to put something away before going to get him and took a minute to take a deep breath and remind myself that we would get through this day with God's help, and when I came back inside he had settled down for a few more minutes of rest for him, and rest for me. It wasn't until that moment that I realized I really needed to spend some time soaking up God's truth. Isn't it funny--or rather, ironic--how it is oftentimes not until the last possible minute that we realize what we really need? We try this or that or get caught up in whatever and then realize that what we really needed was there all along.

So with a few extra God-given minutes, I decided to hop onto She Reads Truth and check out the study they are going through. Day 1 floored me...words I desperately needed from God today, and maybe you do too. They are from Isaiah and they are life-giving. "'For the mountains may move and the hills disappear, but even then my faithful love for you will remain. My covenant of blessing will never be broken,' says the LORD, who has mercy on you." (Isaiah 54:10) When all else seems to be rocking and you feel like you are going to lose your ever-loving mind...love remains. I'm not sure why that gets me so choked up today--maybe it's lack of sleep or maybe it's because I know I haven't earned a love like that today or maybe it's because it is raw, beautiful truth. Whatever it is, I am so grateful we have a God who loves like that. And now, I have a sick little one to cuddle. May I pour onto him the love God has poured into me.

Blessings,



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!